Volunteer electrocuted during transformer repair

A volunteer carrying out a repair on faulty Benin Electricity Distribution Company (BEDC) has been electrocuted after stepping on vandalized armoured cable at the enclosed transformer.

The incident occurred on Wednesday evening in Isihor Community in Ovia North East Local Government Area of Edo State.

The victim was said to have intervened after his neighbours drew his attention to power outage in the area, but unknown to him that a cable theft by suspected vandals had occurred previously.

Anonymous source who disclosed this during a Pidgin English Radio programme on Thursday in Benin City, said “immediately he (volunteer) stepped into the the transformer, he was electrocuted by electricity cables.

The source said, “But, he wasn’t aware that there was a life wire on the floor, which he stepped on and he was electrocuted.

“We rushed him to the University of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH) where he was confirmed dead by a Medical doctor”.

“He has been the one that has always been helping us whenever there is power outage in the absence of BEDC intervention”, the source lamented the victim was a resident of Isihor.

Top official of BEDC said the purported volunteer was not unauthorized to carryout any work on behalf of the Company.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.