Baby survives as generator fume kills Anambra couple, in-law, two others

A four-day old baby has narrowly survived poisonous generator fume that wrecked havoc in a residence at Nkwelle Ezunaka area of Onitsha, Anambra State.


The Manager of Saint Charles Borromeo Hospital, Onistha, Rev. Fr. Izunna Okonkwo said the baby is in a stable condition.

But, he lamented that Mr Ifeanyi, with his wife, two children, mother in-law and apprentice, suffocated to death after inhaling the fume.

Mr Ndubuisi Chukwuneta, the
Chairman of Onitsha Bridge Head Drug market, confirmed the incident and described the departed trader as a hardworking young man who desired the best for his family.

According to the Razor news (online), said the trader at Bridge Head market, had proposed a surprise package for his wife after her discharge from the hospital.

This was after his wife was delivered of a new baby immediately move into his new mansion at Nkwele Ezunaka.

But the power outage by the Enugu Electricity Distribution Company (EEDC), dampened the mood of the happy family whose four-day old baby survived.

The breadwinner of the family, was allegedly put on a generator set, stationed at the veranda near their bedroom as alternative source of energy to the house on the fateful night.

The Newspaper said family members in the mansion, slept off without switching off the generator thereby suffocating the victims.

Curious neighbours who could not join the family celebrate the family, stormed the residence the following day and discovered that the doors in the house were locked, but the generator was still humming.

TheNewspad reports that men of the Nigeria Police Command in Anambra State, attached to the Homicide section have opened investigation into the incident.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.