Ongoing operations by a joint security agents have resulted in the rescue of five abducted train passengers from Igueben train station in Igueben Local Government Area of Edo State.
A security source hinted that a retired police officer and nursing mother with her baby as well as well as two minors have so far been rescued.
The hostages were among the 32 abducted passengers from Igueben train station, in Igueben Local Government Area of Edo State.
“Five persons have been rescued so far. The kidnappers were forced to release the minors who they felt couldn’t move fast due to the intensity of the security operatives, especially the hunters who were in the bush,” according to the source.
Earlier, the State government has issued update on Saturday afternoon’s attack.
Chris Nehikhare, the State Commissioner for Communications and Orientation disclosed this at a Press Conference on Sunday in Benin City, the State Capital.
This followed a visit to the area by the State deputy governor, Philip Shaibu in support of rescue efforts by security operatives to free the passengers who were abducted while waiting to board a train.
The Commissioner who relied on police investigation, assured that the remaining 31 abducted train passengers in captivity will be “rescued in the coming hours” after one of the hostages escaped from captivity.
He said security personnel have arrested one of the suspected kidnappers involved in the abduction of 32 passengers.
According to him, “Edo State Government condoles with the families of the victims for this unfortunate occurrence”.
Nehikhare said, “At the moment, security personnel made up of the military and the police as well as men of the vigilante network and hunters are intensifying search and rescue operations in reasonable radius to rescue the kidnap victims.
“As at 3pm Sunday, one suspect has been captured and is helping Police with their investigation”.
He also appealed for calm and urged citizens to assist security personnel with information of suspicious movements in and around their neighborhoods, particularly in the area where the rescue operation is taking place.
In the meantime, the Nigerian Railway Corporation has also denied shutting down the train station indefinitely.
It confirmed the abduction of some passengers, but insisted that the train was not attacked.
74 total views
Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *