FG accepts Benin monarch’s request to take custody of artefacts

FG accepts Benin monarch’s request to take custody of artefacts

.

The federal government through the Information and culture minister Lai Mohammed has acceded the request of Benin monarch, His Royal Majesty, Oba Ewuare II to take possession of 1,130 stolen Benin artefacts immediately when they are returned to the Country.

EDO STATE GOVERNOR, MR. GODWIN OBASEKI (RIGHT), HIS ROYAL MAJESTY, OBA WUARE II (MIDDLE), INFORMATION AND CULTURE MINISTER, LAI MOHAMMED/ CREDIT: PEOPLES GAZETTE

The Benin bronzes are being expected from Germany.

Mr Mohammed disclosed this on Saturday in Lagos at a news conference on the efforts by the federal government to repatriate looted artefacts from some parts of Europe and America.

The minister’s disclosure comes in the aftermath of the controversy that had trailed who will take possession of the expected artefacts between the Oba of Benin, Oba Ewuare II and Edo state Governor, Godwin Obaseki.

While the monarch who made the request on Friday last week, wanted the artefacts stolen from Benin Palace in 1987 to be returned to a museum to be built within the Palace premises, the governor showed preference for a private trust to take custody and manage the artefacts.

The Minister however said the federal government was the entity recognised by international law as the authority in control of antiquities originating from the Country.

“The Federal Government is aware of the widely-reported controversy over who will take possession of the Benin Bronzes when they are returned from Germany.

ALSO READ:  Court restrains 'housewife' from harassing divorce-seeking Edo billionaire, Ikpea

“Let me state clearly here that, in line with international best practice and the operative conventions and laws, the return of the artefacts is being negotiated bilaterally between the national governments of Nigeria and Germany.

“Nigeria is the entity recognised by international law as the authority in control of antiquities originating from Nigeria.

“The relevant international conventions treat heritage properties as properties belonging to the nation and not to individuals or subnational groups,’’ he said.

The minister cited the 1970 UNESCO Convention, in its Article 1 which defines cultural property as property specifically designated by that nation.

He said the provision allows individual nations to determine what it regards as its cultural property.

He, however noted that the provision notwithstanding, his ministry had been working over the past years to repatriate looted artefacts in partnership with traditional institutions and state governments.

“What we are saying in essence is that the federal government will take possession of these antiquities, because it is its duty to do so, in line with the extant laws.

“We have always exercised this right in cognisance of that culture that produced the art works.

“That is why the Ministry of Information and Culture and the National Commission for Museums and Monuments have always involved both the Edo State government and the Royal Benin Palace in discussions and negotiations that have now resulted in the impending return of these antiquities,’’ he said.

ALSO READ:  Wike alleges partisanship in deployment of CP to Rivers

The minister said the federal government was not just involved in the repatriation of Benin artefacts.

He said his ministry was also working on repatriating Ife Bronzes and Terracotta, Nok Terracotta, Owo Terracotta, the arts of the Benue River Valley, the Igbo Ukwu and the arts of Bida, Igala, Jukun etc.

(NAN)

1 comment
editor
AUTHOR
PROFILE

Posts Carousel

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

1 Comment

  • Osadolor Omoregbee
    July 18, 2021, 8:35 am

    What a shameful way to attract readers to read your articles. While the caption is purely different from your message. Try and improve better than deceiving your readers.

    REPLY

Latest Posts

Top Authors

Most Commented

Featured Videos

ALSO READ:  Nigeria approaches World Bank for fresh $2.5bn loan
Thenewspad

FREE
VIEW