Organizers of the National Sports Festival have disclosed plans to end the competition on Thursday April, 8, citing lack of funds.
The announcement comes badly 24 hours after the Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, declared the fiesta tagged: “Edo 2020”, opened, was formerly billed to end on April 14 2021.
The tournament which was hosted by Edo State Government with 8000 Contingents from 35 States of Nigeria, had been postponed twice due to Covid-19 pandemic and alleged failure by the federal Government to redeem its financial pledge.
In a statement, the Project Manager, Media & Communications, Edo 2020, Ebomhiana Musa, said the LOC it has to took the hard decision an emergency meeting on Wednesday evening due to lack of funds having expended its reserves to kick start the games.
“Rising from an emergency meeting on Wednesday evening, the LOC says it has to take this hard decision due to lack of funds having expended its reserves to kick start the games.
“Regrettably, the FG is yet to redeem its pledge to support us as the host state financially for the cost of postponements. So, we are left with no option than to end the games at noon on Thursday”, the statement said.
Prior to the commencement of the Festival, the Chairman of the LOC and Edo State deputy governor, Mr. Philip Shaibu, had appealed to the Federal Government to release funds towards the hosting of the Sports Festival.
He made the appeal at a Media briefing in Benin City, the State Capital, following the earlier assurance by the Minister of Sports, Mr. Sunday Dare that President Muhammadu Buhari had approved the funds ahead of the Festival.