Lagos State governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu Sanwo-Olu, finally revealed those who ordered the Lekki shooting spree that occurred on October 20, 2020 night.
Sanwo-Olu said Nigerian Army ordered the shooting of #EndSARS protesters at Lekki toll Plaza.
SARS is the acronym for Special Anti-Robbery Squad, a unit of the Nigeria Police that was recently disbanded by the government.
The Nigerian Army had earlier stated that its men were not present at the toll gate during the incident, brushing aside the viral video footage of the shooting which it claimed was “photoshopped.”
But, speaking to CNN on Monday, Sanwo-Olu said footage available to him shows that the Nigerian Army ordered the shooting.
He also promised that after investigations, everyone found culpable of the act will be persecuted.
Sanwo-Olu said, “From the footage that we could see, it seems to be that men in military uniform, which should be Nigerians Army ordered the shooting.
”They will be available for the judicial panel to review. They will certainly be held accountable, we will do everything possible to make sure they are held accountable.
”When the report is out we will channel it to all the relevant authorities in the state to ensure that everyone found culpable is accountable for the act”, he said.
TheNewspad had reported that Governor Sanwo-Olu on Friday said that the Judicial panel of inquiry headed by Justice Doris Okuobi (Rted) that he set up to investigate police brutality and the shooting that occurred on Tuesday night at Lekky toll Plaza during SARS protests in the State will begin sitting on Monday October 26, 2020.