Atiku condemns killings in Borno, seeks end to terror as Zulum reacts

Atiku condemns killings in Borno, seeks end to terror as Zulum reacts

.

Former Vice President of Nigeria and Candidate of Peoples Democratic party (PDP) in 2019 general elections, Alhaji Atiku Abuja has condoled with Borno State government over the killings of over 15 security personnel in the line of duty by members of Boko Haram sect on Friday in the State.

BORNO STATE GOVERNOR, BABAGANA ZULUM, ALHAJI ABUBAKAR ATIKU

Reacting to the attack on Governor Babagana Zulum’s convoy in a tweet, Abubakar who raised serious concern over the development and urge authorities concern review the strategies in the war against terrorism in Nigeria, said Governor Zulum is not a soft target.

According to him, “The attack on Gov. Babagana Zulum in which over a dozen security operatives were killed between Monguno & Baga should be a source of concern not only because it is the second time such an attack is taking place in recent times, but because the Borno governor is not a soft target.

“This attack is yet another reminder that we need to adopt new strategies to deal with the menace of insurgency decisively. I convey my condolences to the families of the deceased. I solidarise with the government and people of Borno that Gov Zulum did not come to any harm.

Speaking on the incident, the State Governor, Mr. Babagana Zulum, described the attack on his convoy on Friday as most unfortunate.

ALSO READ:  Edo SSG slammed for 'disrespecting Benin monarch'

He, however, said it would not deter his plan to ensure all Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs, return to their homes after a long stay in the camps in order to resume their activities as free and not restricted people.

Zulum who claimed to be in Baga Community in Borno when the incident occurred, commended the efforts of the security operatives for fighting gallantly and repelling the attack whose death toll has risen to 30 as at the time of filing this report.

He observed that, although there was loss of lives, which is very unfortunate, he still has confidence that peace will return to Borno State, the northeast and Nigeria.

“We have seen the level of work done by the Resettlement Committee, we have seen the renewed efforts of the Nigeria Military and I think so far so good, we have achieved a lot in our collective effort and plan for the Resettlement of the Baga Community under the phase one relocation exercise.

“We have put in place a befitting primary health care facility, we have rehabilitated water supply distribution network, and we have also put in place needed infrastructure for a smooth start of Education programmes.

“The most important of all to ensure these things kick start without facing difficulty is the establishment of civil authorities, which on ground. We have renovated the Houses of the Traditional Rulers, built Police Station and Markets among others. We are sure that we are good to go,” Zulum said

ALSO READ:  Tribunal dismisses INEC’s, Buhari’s applications for dismissal of PDM’s petition

Speaking further on the attack, Zulum said, “What happened is unfortunate, but this will never deter us from fulfilling our mandate on the safe return of our Internally Displaced persons (IDPs).

“We shall remain resolute, we shall remain courageous, and we shall remain determined to ensure the people that are willing to return back of adequate security”, he said.

FILE: BORNO STATE GOVERNOR, BABAGANA ZULUM IN COMPANY OF SOME SECURITY AIDES
editor
AUTHOR
PROFILE

Posts Carousel

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Latest Posts

Top Authors

Most Commented

Featured Videos

ALSO READ:  Niger Delta leaders in crossfire with ICPC over alleged harassment of NDDC Staff
Thenewspad

FREE
VIEW