President Muhammadu Buhari has reacted to the killing of over 50 people by suspected bandits in villages in northwestern Kaduna State.
A Nigerian lawmaker told BBC Hausa service said on Sunday that the attack occurred in Kerawa Local Government Area and Igabi Local Government Area of the State.
Spokesman for the Nigeria police, ASP Mohamed Jalige who confirmed the report, said that he was waiting to receive intelligence from officials at the local government agency who had been attacked before commenting.
A lawmaker from area said over 1090 attackers stormed the town of Kerawa and other villagers, killing people and burning homes and cars.
But, president Muhammadu Buhari has condemned the Sunday’s killings of over 50 people in Kaduna villages by bandits, saying they should make no mistake that they can establish a reign of terror on people without feeling the full might of the government elected to protect the citizens.
“The criminals cannot be lucky always; we’re determined to frustrate and defeat them, and no matter how long they run or where they hide, they’d be smoked out and brought to justice,” he said.
Buhari, in a statement by his media aide, Garba Shehu, vowed to sustain the ongoing military operations in the State.
Expressing sadness and regret over the attack, he said from the reports received, the bandits were unleashing their fury and frustration on innocent people because of the ongoing military and police offensive against them in the Birnin Gwari and Kaduru forests.