Why female food seller suffered electrocution – police

Why female food seller suffered electrocution – police

The district police officer, Isheri/Osun police station in Lagos State, Rafiu Akinlade, has linked the absence of insulator protection at the residential building to the death of food seller, Mrs. Florence Imoh in the State. He revealed avoidable tragedy was worsened by the early morning rainfall in the State. 58-year-old victim was found dead in


The district police officer, Isheri/Osun police station in Lagos State, Rafiu Akinlade, has linked the absence of insulator protection at the residential building to the death of food seller, Mrs. Florence Imoh in the State.

He revealed avoidable tragedy was worsened by the early morning rainfall in the State.

58-year-old victim was found dead in front of her shop on Monday at 12, Shosanya Street, Ijegun Road in Ikotun, a Lagos suburb in Igando/Ikotun Local Council Development Area (LCDA).

According to him, “If the building had an insulator, the insulator would have absorbed and protected the residents from any danger.

He advised other residents in the area to be careful and be vigilant, especially during and after rainfall. When it rains, it is advisable to avoid touching iron or metal object”.

Imoh’s stone dead body was found by neighbours who raised the alarm that attracted a crowd of sympathizers.

Witnesses explained that Imoh’s death was due to a naked wire that supplied electricity from the pole that was linked to the building.

The deceased neighbour, Mrs. Mercy Alomona, also narrated that she woke up to see the lifeless body of Imoh clinging to the metal gates of her shop at about 6:30a.m.

She said: “Mama Chikodi as Imoh was fondly addressed, was trying to open the iron gate of her shop without noticing the contact and got electrocuted”.

ALSO READ:  Two weeks after wedding, husband discovers ‘wife’ is a man

Another resident, Sodiq Bello, said there was faulty electrical wiring in the building where Imoh was killed.

“We have searched for the cause of the death, and we noticed that a naked wire was resting on the metallic sides of the roof, which had transmitted to other metallic objects in the shop.

“The building has an electrical defect. She was trying to come out from the shop when the incident happened. Mama Chikodi works and sleeps in the shop.

She assists her younger sister in cooking and selling of food early in the morning”.

In the meantime, policeman said, electricity provider in charge of the area has been ordered to switch off.

He said the body of the deceased had been evacuated and taken to Isolo General Hospital mortuary.

“We have been informed and I have called Ikeja Electric about the development, and they have switched off the electricity in the area.

“This is to allow us to evacuate Imoh’s body. I have also directed my officers to go to the scene of the event from where the body was evacuated, he said.

editor
AUTHOR
PROFILE

Posts Carousel

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Latest Posts

Top Authors

Most Commented

Featured Videos

ALSO READ:  Women protest killing of prostitutes in Rivers
Thenewspad

FREE
VIEW